Monday, August 23, 2010

Spinach and Artichoke Dip Update - Marscarpone

On August 3, 2010, I posted a recipe for Olive Garden's Spinach and Artichoke Dip.  It's a very delicious recipe and I made that again last night for several friends.  I love a good cheesy dip and I will also emphasize this now...shred your own Parmesan!

The main reason for this post/update is to talk to you about the marscarpone substitution recipe.  When I first prepared this recipe, I had Bel Gioioso Marscarpone Cheese from Lowe's Foods.  Lowe's Foods and The Fresh Market are about the only places that I know of in Winston-Salem that sells this smooth and tasty cheese.  It's also slightly expensive, so I found a substitute recipe online that simulates the texture and flavor without the price.

Marscarpone Substitute
8 oz. cream cheese (soft)
3 Tbs. soft butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbs. sour cream

With electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter.  On slow, add heavy cream and sour cream.  Once the heavy cream has been mixed in, speed mixer to medium to smooth out the texture.

If you go back and look at the Spinach and Artichoke Dip recipe, you'll realize that this means you'll be putting 1 1/2 pounds of cream cheese in the dip.  Yup...that's why it's so great!  My advice is to have lots of friends to share with every time you make it.  If you make it as an appetizer, plan for them to fill up before the entree.  Marscarpone is also the type of cheese that is used in tiramisu.  Hmm, Maybe I'll have to try that one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment