Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pork with Peach and Black Bean Salsa

In the search for new recipes for this blog, I stumbled past a great website that is a brilliant source for a huge variety of meals, allrecipes.com.  This website has been the source for many of my meals and often will offer suggestions as it did with this recipe tonight.  I finally signed up for an account with them because that allows me to save my favorite recipes.  While registering for the account, I somehow managed to sign up for a daily recipe.  The Country Breakfast Casserole from this morning was also one of these posts.  Just check it out and you could possibly find something wonderfully delicious.

This recipe arrived in my email inbox several days ago and the spicy sweet nature of this recipe definitely peaked my curiosity.  I am NOT a huge black bean fan, but one of my friends really loves them so I figured I can give them a try.  I do love peaches and salsa and the mixture of the two intrigued me. 

Whether I'm cooking or eating, I have come to live by a few simple rules.  One of those rules is..."you never know until you try it."  I spent many of my younger years sitting at the table long after everyone in my family had left.  I refused to eat my beans or whatever my mom was putting on my plate.  Needless to say, I was a very picky eater.  Even at the local fast food restaurant, I only wanted the french fries.  In my adulthood, that philosophy has gradually evolved into what I stated earlier.  Some of the things I thought I would like the least have become my favorites.  Frankly, I just didn't know what I was missing, because I was unwilling to try it.  Many people are this way with sushi.  I thought it was gross until my friend Tesh convinced me to try seared tuna at Diamondback Grill.  Years later, I'm totally hooked and have become adventurous enough to try even sea urchin. I don't like it, but I tried it.  It wasn't gross, but not my cup of tea.  Think about this when you see something that doesn't look like something you'd normally eat.  Give it a shot and you just never know.

Pork with Peach
and Black Bean Salsa
1 lb. pork tenderloin, cubed
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup cornmeal
1 Tbs. olive oil
¼ cup beer
1 cup prepared salsa
1 (15 oz.) can sliced peaches, drained
½ (15 oz.) can black beans drain and reserved liquid
1 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro

Season cubed pork with salt and pepper. Place meat in large plastic bag with the cornmeal. Shake well to coat the meat.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the coated meat in the skillet and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, or until browned. Reduce heat to medium.

Pour in the beer, salsa, peaches and beans with 2 Tbs. reserved liquid. Stir well and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.

This meal is very delicious and the pork was amazingly tender.  It was the perfect blend of spicy and sweet.  I loved this and it's definitely a keeper in the recipe box.  I hope you try it.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment