Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cheese Filled Manicotti

If you aren't aware based on the recipes I've prepared, you should know: I love cheese. My mom says it was one of the things she craved most when she was pregnant with my brothers and me. I don't know if it's related, but my brothers and I all love cheese. I actually have a drawer in my refrigerator completely dedicated to different cheeses. I actually have so many cheeses that they won't all fit in the drawer. Let's so what kind of cheeses are in Ross's cheese drawer (the last 3 won't fit, but I'll include them anyway):

Parmesan
Romano
Goat Cheese
Mozzarella (shredded and string cheese)
American Slices
Cheddar (mild and sharp)
Colby Jack
Blue
Jarlsberg (Swiss)
4 Cheese Italian
4 Cheese Mexican
Laughing Cow
Feta
Cream Cheese
Ricotta

I have only included the cheeses that are currently there, nothing that has been used up and/or discarded (such as the marscarpone cheese that was recently used for Spinach and Artichoke Dip). Well, when my mom first told me about this recipe (found on the back of the Ronzoni pasta box), I knew that it was right up my alley.  I have prepared it several times and it's a favorite, but for some reason, I haven't had it in a while.  It was wonderful, like reuniting with a long lost friend.

Cheese-Filled Manicotti
14 pieces Manicotti, uncooked
4 cups ricotta cheese (32 oz.)
2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 eggs
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 ½ cups spaghetti sauce

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 13 x 9 baking dish. In large bowl, stir together ricotta cheese, 1 ½ cups mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan, eggs, parsley, pepper, salt and nutmeg; spoon into cooled pasta tubes. Arrange filled past in single layer in prepared dish. Pour sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup Parmesan. Bake 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

I usually only prepare a half-recipe unless I have a group of people coming over.  I can only eat about 3 Manicotti shells full of cheese. I really don't need 11 more in the refrigerator. I usually use more than the prescribed mozzarella and Parmesan, and I ALWAYS use freshly grated Parmesan. Freshly grated Parmesan always has more flavor than the pre-grated, pre-shredded varieties.

Also, I always run cold water over the shells so they'll be cool to the touch and thus easier to fill.  I spoon the cheese mixture into a Ziploc bag, snip the corner, and 'pipe' the mixture into the shells.  It is definitely the fastest and least messy method. I've tried actually spooning the cheese into the shells and it takes forever.  Once I tried to use my cookie press to pump the cheese into the shells...BAD IDEA. The Ziploc method is definitely my preferred. I hope you give this one a try. It is very easy, delicious and great for vegetarians (unless you're a vegan). Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment