Sunday, August 15, 2010

Homemade Waffles

There are waffle people and there are pancake people.  I am definitely a waffle person.  Before now, I used to always make pancakes when preparing breakfast foods at home simply because I didn't own a waffle maker.  If you like waffles (even a little), it is a terrific purchase.  Like many of your (I'm sure) I am slightly worried about where in the world I am going to store this amazing new appliance.  I don't care though, because it's worth every penny.

Unless one has an electric griddle or a really large pan, most can only make one or two pancakes at a time.  With this waffle maker, I can make four waffles at once while doing something else entirely.  It may sound like I am trying to sell you a waffle make, but that is not the case I assure you.  I just want to point out the benefits and justify my purchase to myself.

My recipe came from the instruction booklet that came with the GE Waffle Baker. There are many mixes out there (including Bisquick) that you could use as well.  I chose to top my waffles with fresh strawberries and whipped cream (not to mention Aunt Jemima's syrup).  There was very little sugar in the actual waffles so if you choose to get sugar free syrup you can cut even more calories.

Waffles
2 cups flour
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 ¾ cups milk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

Preheat waffle baker. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt dry ingredients. Whisk together milk, oil and eggs. Gradually add milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until just blended. Pour batter onto waffle baker (1/3 cup for each waffle). Makes 4 ½ cups (approx. 10 waffles).

Blueberry Waffles: After pouring batter onto waffle grids, sprinkle fresh blueberries over batter, then close lid.

If you don't already have a waffle iron, take a chance.  I hope you enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll be putting a waffle maker on my Christmas list - yum! One of the things on my list of things to do this year is learn more new recipes...I will have to remember to check your blog!

    It was nice to run into you the other day :)

    karen

    ReplyDelete