Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Gift from My Mom

Quite a while back, my mom told me that she wanted to make me an apron.  I had mentioned to her earlier that I couldn't find an orange apron anywhere and she said that she could make one for me. Later, she confessed that she wanted to embroider "The Orange Skillet" on the apron and she was looking for a picture of an orange skillet to put on it. 

My mind started churning and I told her that I had something in mind.  Unfortunately for me, I can draw much better in my head that I can in real life. Artistry is something I probably get from my dad. I grew up watching him draw all the time.  I later watched my brothers draw. 

In second grade, my teacher, Mrs. Smith (whose grandson I taught last year), assigned everyone in the class a building in our town and we had to draw it. I was assigned the Lexington State Bank building in Welcome, NC. From that moment, I decided I wanted to be an architect and it wasn't until my senior year of high school that I changed my mind and decided to become a music teacher. Long story short...my whole family (including my mom, although she'll deny it) is very artistic.

One Sunday, I decided to finally start putting the images of a skillet that I have been drawing in my head onto paper.  I make quite a few sketches and gave them to my mom.  These sketches are of a skillet that resembles a treble clef (obviously representing music, another of my passions) I told her which ones I liked the best and she chose one and blew it up and embroidered it onto the orange apron she had already sewn.  The result is the most awesome gift and I am proud to share it with you.



1 comment:

  1. That's about the most precious thing in the world. Love the skillet!!

    ReplyDelete