Sunday, July 11, 2010

Strawberry Cobbler

This recipe is one of my all-time favorites.  It's a dessert that can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.  When we went to the beach back in may, I mixed up all the dry ingredients and put them in a Ziploc baggie. It was like having my own boxed mix.  When it was time to make it the cobbler, I just dumped the mix into a bowl and added a cup of milk.  The easiest type of cobbler is probably peach.  It's so easy to buy a large can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup.  It's the perfect amount and the peaches are already sweetened.

The strawberries I used for tonight's cobbler were bought fresh from Costco.  I cut them and macerated them by adding sugar. You could do the same with fresh peaches or blueberries.  I've never tried any other fruit beyond that.  I also always add some of the juice to the top of the cobbler to sweeten it even more.

This is a very common recipe and is very close to a recipe that was mentioned in the movie, Steel Magnolias.  Steel Magnolias is a long-time favorite of mine. In the movie (during one of the salon scenes), they talk about the recipe called, Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa. 

Truvy:  "It's a cuppa flour, a cuppa sugar, a cuppa fruit cocktail with the juice, mix and bake 'til gold and bubbly."

Clairee:  "Sounds awfully rich."

Truvy:  "It is, so I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness."

 
I haven't tried Truvy's recipe, but my friend Megan tried it once and said that it wasn't all that good. I would say that my mom's cobbler recipe is the best I've ever had.
 
Fruit Cobbler
1 stick margarine or butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk (I use skim and it also works)
1 qt. fruit (with some sweetened juice)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 1 stick margarine in 9 x 13 baking dish in heated oven (make sure you do not allow your butter to brown). Mix together all ingredients except fruit and add to heated dish. Add approx 1 quart fruit on top of bread mixture (with some of the sweetened juices). Cook about 25 minutes (or until gold and bubbly).

I used a 10 x 15 dish tonight so I increased the recipe. I used 1 1/2 cups of flour, sugar and milk and 4 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. Try this one, you'll love it.  Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, one of my favorites. My mama's recipe has only one difference... add a pinch of salt.

    I made a blueberry cobbler last week and ate on it for several days. Mmmm...

    I need to try strawberries. They're my favorite fruit... but I've never tried this cobbler with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ross! Love the cobbler recipe! Mom and I had some peaches and wanted to make a cobbler...she remembered something like the cuppa, cuppa, cuppa...but we couldn't find it in any recipe book. Then...your blog came to the rescue!!! Made the cobbler today and it was delicious!!! Many thanks! Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Libby! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete