Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Salmon Patties

In the south, there is the age old debate...is salmon pronounced 'sam-mon' or 'sall-mon'?  I've consulted many sources and dictionaries and every single one says the 'L' is silent.  I'm sure there are many people who are vowing that I am incorrect and if they choose to say it the other way, so be it.  The thing is, does it really matter? To me, it matters, so I'll say [sa-mən] and you can pronounce it however you wish.

Either way you say it, it is a terrific food. Since I was very young, I have loved salmon patties.  My mom made them for us.  I dare say that it is probably one of those foods that you probably have to grow up with to love it. It isn't a delicacy or some truly spectacular dish that people fight over (unless you were one of the three boys in my house and there was only one left).  It's truly a comfort food for me.  I like to eat mine with vinegar.  Don't turn your nose up at that unless you've tried it.  I've made this several times for a few friends that had never tried it with vinegar and they all liked it.

It's a really simple dish to make and I don't really have a recipe.  I searched for 'salmon patties recipes' on google and found many options including the method that my mom taught me. Some were fairly complicated and had lots of ingredients, but from what I could tell, most of them had the same basics. 

You have to have a can of salmon. My mom always suggested (and I have good luck with this too), Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon. The brand that I buy is less important.  When I open the salmon, I carefully remove the bones (mostly the ones that look like a spinal cord...the others disappear when you cook them).  My mom removes some of the skin too, but like to leave it.  It adds flavor.

The other main ingredients were either flour or crackers (saltines) and of course, eggs to bind it all together.  I saw some with onions, lemon juice, peppers and various spices and flavorings.  If you find one you like, then try it.  It's so inexpensive that you can try them all and not feel guilty if they don't turn out.  I may even try a different recipe myself someday.  This recipe is a lot like the deviled eggs:  if you like it, you probably already have a recipe and everyone prefers it the way their mom made it. Give it a try. Serve it up with your favorite side and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. fried fish ALWAYS needs vinegar! Also, your dictionaries are right. I never heard the "l" pronounced until I moved here.

    ReplyDelete