Sunday, July 18, 2010

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

As I said in an an earlier post, Meat sauce was one of the first dishes I ever claimed that I could cook.  I'm not going to lie, though. I don't make it from scratch.  There are only two good reasons to make something from scratch.  One reason is that it tastes better.  This is probably the most important reason. If you can find a way to make something taste better, then do it.  Flavor is what's really important after all.  The second reason to make something from scratch is that it is cheaper.  Most of the time, making something from scratch is not cheaper, it just tastes better. 

If a dish doesn't taste better from scratch and it isn't a lot cheaper, then why are you making it that way?  There are so many sauce recipes out there and I have one that's pretty decent, but I just can't justify slaving over something that is not going to meet those criteria. This is why, when it comes to spaghetti, I just buy a jar of sauce and add things that I like to it. 

Tonight, I used a jar of Great Value Traditional Sauce.  It's the same sauce I use when I make my lasagna.  It's delicious and has chunks of tomato in it.  I browned my pound of ground beef and added chopped onions. I drained the fat and added the sauce, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, oregano, nutmeg, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.  I topped the plate with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. 

The best thing about dishes like this is that you can whatever you like.  It's much like a salad in that way.  You leave out the things you don't want and throw in all your favorites.  I especially love that Walmart now carries the tomato paste in a tube.  It's double-concentrate and very reasonable. I haven't posted a recipe tonight, because I don't use one.  I hope you find your inner chef and discover a sauce you love.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment