Thursday, July 8, 2010

Kitchen Hiatus

I haven't had any posts since early Sunday morning.  This is mainly because I have been eating out a lot. This doesn't give me a lot to say about my cooking, when I'm not actually cooking much.  I did make a salad a few nights ago (very delicious). Since last Thursday I have eaten at least 7 restaurants and a cookout.

Main Street Pizza Deli (Lexington, NC) - If you've never heard of this deli, then you have no idea what you're missing.  I would have to say that The Main Street Pizza deli is downtown Lexington's best kept secret.  A secret that really shouldn't be one. I have been eating here for about 15 years (that I can remember).  They have the best cheese steak I've ever tasted. That cheese steak isn't really even the best part.  You must sample their homemade yeast bread.  It is (without a doubt) the best bread I've ever had. Check out Main Street Pizza & Deli at 13 N. Main Street in Lexington, NC (Open Mon - Fri).

Applebee's (Winston-Salem, NC) - Applebee's has a huge variety of food, but on Friday, I decided to have an old favorite: The Oriental Chicken Salad.  This is a delicious dish with fried chicken (with the option of grilled chicken) and a semi-sweet salad dressing.  I also tasted the delicious Red Apple Sangria. All this aside, lackluster service and lots of noise doesn't aid one trying to have a quiet dinner.  Not really fine dining, but they're everywhere.

Smokey Joe's BBQ (Lexington, NC) - My family has a wonderful tradition of eating breakfast together on Saturday mornings.  I cannot for the life of me remember when it started, but it's one meal I hate to miss. We've had many favorite eating locations (most of the BBQ joints in Lexington, NC).  Smokey Joe's on South Main Street in Lexington, NC has been among those favorites. Since North Carolina has passed the no smoking law in restaurants, all of our favorites have gotten even better. Smiley's BBQ, Biscuit King and Barbecue Center have also been among the favorites. I hope everyone else loves family time as much as I do (or more).

El Paisano Mexican Restaurant (Winston-Salem, NC) - You can talk to just about anyone who likes Mexican food and I am sure they have a favorite restaurant and a favorite dish. I am no exception.  I have a hierarchy of favorite Mexican restaurants. El Paisano is my absolute favorite.  Reason #1 - Their salsa is delicious and not too spicy. Reason #2 - Pollo Fundido.  This dish has chicken-filled tortillas rolled and deep fried.  Need I continue?  Top that with the yummy queso dip, lettuce, tomato and sour cream with a side of rice. I could eat this stuff every week (I would say everyday, but we all know that isn't true).  If you find yourself on Peters Creek Parkway/Hwy 150 near Oliver's Crossing, stop by El Paisano and try the Pollo Fundido.  It's a must have.

Subway (Welcome, NC) - When I think of Subway, I think of $5 foot long subs and healthy choices.  I had the oven roasted chicken breast made to order. I have to admit, however, that I am really a Quizno's kinda guy.  Oh well, sometimes, you just have to eat where you can.

July 4th Cookout (Lewisville, NC) - Forth of July, Fireworks, hot dogs, cupcakes and deviled eggs.  I can't think of a better way to hang out with some really fun people. I hope everyone else had the chance to see some wonderful fireworks.  I know I sure did.  I had no idea that Lewisville, NC had such an amazing display of patriotism and community.  I was so impressed.  You couldn't find a better display of fireworks unless you stood watching lady Liberty herself.

Barbecue Center (Lexington, NC) - Growing up in Welcome, NC, I was very  aware of BBQ and how much our community revolves around it.  Everyone year in October, Lexington hosts the Barbecue Festival.  This festival  hosts many craftsmen, musicians and hungry citizens from all over. It's definitely something to experience at least once. Bring your appetite for BBQ and my other favorite, funnel cakes.  I won't get into the battle between Lexington BBQ and Eastern NC BBQ.  I like both, but that will be a topic for another blog.

Kanpai Japanese Steakhouse (Winston-Salem, NC) - Japanese food (at least the American version of it) is my favorite food.  I don't care if I'm at a steakhouse or a sushi bar, I'm always really satisfied. Tonight, I had Filet Mignon (my second favorite selection - 1st goes to Filet and Appetizer Shrimp) and it never fails to be delicious.  I prefer to have my filet cooked medium rare.  This is also a topic for another blog, but it was delicious and extremely tender.



What is your favorite restaurant and/or favorite dish? 

No comments:

Post a Comment