Friday, July 9, 2010

Patriotic Cupcakes

I absolutely love cupcakes.  After buying a book entitled, Hello Cupcake, over a year ago, I have made dozens and dozens of cupcakes. My most recent version was inspired by July 4th and Patriotic day at the Pharmacy.  I purchased the red cupcake liners at Sur la Table in Greensboro (http://www.surlatable.com/). It's a wonderful store and if I had more money, I would frequent it more often.

In the book, Hello Cupcake, the reader is given hints and tips.  My favorite tip is how to make a boxed cake mix taste more like homemade.  When you buy a box of cake mix (in my case, French Vanilla), the directions on the back include adding the following ingredients:  1 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup oil and 3 eggs.  In the book, they tell you to ignore these directions and add 1 cup buttermilk, 1/3 cup oil (or whatever amount of oil the directions say) and four eggs.  Darker cakes usually require more oil.  Other than these changes, follow the directions exactly.

I love to make my own frosting. I detest canned frosting, because it's usually too sweet.  I really prefer Costco cakes and frosting, but I have no need for a giant tub of frosting, so I stick to making my own.  It's actually super easy as long as you have Percy (or any electric mixer).  I've also used my GE hand held electric mixer (pre Percy days).  I got my frosting recipe from Wilton's website (http://www.wilton.com/).  There you will find many options for other frostings.  I have also tried the chocolate version and I must say, it tastes just like a Wendy's Frosty (just not as cold).  It's very delicious.

Wilton's Buttercream Icing
½ cup solid vegetable shortening (it's easiest if you buy it in the sticks)
½ cup (1 stick) butter softened (soft, NOT melted)
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 Tbs. milk

(Medium Consistency)
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beat well on medium speed. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Re-whip before using. For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.

For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.  (I've never tried this version)

For my cupcakes, I colored my icing blue.  I will only say this once, so pay close attention:  NEVER COLOR YOUR FROSTING WITH LIQUID FOOD COLORING!!!  Coloring paste is very inexpensive and you can find it in jars or tubes.  It will help maintain the wonderful texture of your frosting.  It's so readily available that you can get this at pretty much any grocery store or craft store.  I've seen inexpensive boxes of multiple colors.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I was just starting to search for an icing recipe to make Berkley's first birthday cake. This is exactly what I needed- thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete