Thursday, July 1, 2010

Family Time with Mom

When I think back to my childhood, the thing I remember most about being in the kitchen with my mom is baking cakes. I would push the kitchen chair up next to her, climb up in the chair watch her use this most fascinating machine. It was her stand mixer. It was a Hamilton Beech.  She got it shortly after she got married and just within the last few years upgraded to a new, red, Kitchen Aid stand mixer named Ruby.  I convinced her that it should have a name (after all, mine did: Percy). If you haven't already guessed, hers is red (although not Ruby red).

I think this was the reason that I focused on baking for so long.  It wasn't until I moved into my house that I actually started venturing into the world beyond desserts.  Of course I made food, but never anything that involved more than browning meat and dumping a jar of spaghetti sauce into a pan.  That was my most complicated dish. Now, that has all changed.  I feel like me cooking has opened up a brand new world my relationship with my mom.  We've shared so much more.  One of our favorite things before I closed on my house was going shopping for new kitchen gadgets and finding the best sales on measuring spoons and bowls.  We made our first trip together to IKEA (and then went back for more over Christmas).

My mom reads this blog and I'm sure she has no clue what everything she does has meant to me, but I felt like it was really important for her to know.  Today, I got the opportunity to learn something new from my mother. We got to can Icicle Pickles (one of our family favorites).  If you have never had (or heard of) these pickles, then I'm sorry for you. They are a very sweet, 14-day pickle.  They are mostly used in chicken/egg salads and as relishes.  I love to just have one by itself every so often.  I like to cut them up on a sandwich.  There are many uses. These pickles take two weeks to make and involve many steps and complicated procedures.  I didn't get to help with the first 14 days, but I was able to help can (or jar) the 26 1/2 pints on day 15.  Of course, this is a family recipe and I can't share it, but if you really want to know, I'm sure you can find a similar version on the web.  Just buy a stone crock and all the materials and you'll be ready to go.

Today, I add this skill to the long list of things my mom has taught me. It goes right up near the top next to red velvet cake (and the matching frosting) and sugar cookies.  Family traditions are really important to me. What are your family traditions that you cherish?  Please feel free to comment and share what family memories are special to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment