Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sand Art Brownies

This past Christmas, I had my 2nd Annual Christmas Adam Party.  I only get to invite a few people because my house is so small which is really unfortunate, but one day it might become a bigger event.  "What is Christmas Adam?", you might ask. When I was really young, my brother, Dru and I, were always trying to convince our mom to let us open presents before Christmas.  We knew that we would be getting together with family on Christmas Eve to open gifts, but for a kid, that just isn't soon enough.  As a child, I had no clue why 'Christmas Eve' was the name we used for the day before Christmas.  I only knew about Adam and Eve from Sunday School lessons.  I thought it made pretty good sense for the day before Christmas Eve to be named 'Christmas Adam'.  To me, it was logical and sounded like a pretty good day to open a gift on.  Ever since, December 23rd has been Christmas Adam.

Okay, enough back story...as a party favor for my guests, I made Sand Art Brownies.  These brownies are named for the jars of layered sand in various colors.  I made one of these jars in Vacation Bible School as a child.  They're really fun and beautiful until they're turned or shaken.  This is why it is very important for each jar to be completely filled.  The sand are brownies are made in very much the same way.  The dry ingredients for the brownies are layered in a one quart mason jar.  The recipient is given a jar and recipe on how to mix and bake them.

This recipe is to make 12 jars of sand art brownies.  You can present them in whatever method you choose.  I labeled my jars with a tag that says "The Orange Skillet" and also held the recipe. I tied the tag on with a very simple white curling ribbon.

Supplies:
12 quart-sized mason jars with lids and rings
12 ounces cocoa
42 ounces chocolate chips
42 ounces vanilla/white chocolate chips
32 ounces chopped walnuts or pecans
50 ounces brown sugar
5 lbs. flour
5 lbs. white, granulated sugar
salt
1 jar funnel
measuring cups and spoons
several bowls (to pour the chips out into)
1 friend to help you put everything together

Wash all the jars/lids and make sure they are completely dried.  You do not want to take the chance of having anything growing inside your jar. Line your jars up on the counter in a way that will help you remember which jars have already received the ingredients.  Your friend can also help you keep track of this. The messiest part of putting together the jars is the brown sugar.  The brown sugar must be packed into the appropriate sized measuring cup, leveled off and then crumbled into the jar.  I chose to dump out the brown sugar into a bowl and then crumble it into the jar. Once in the jar, the brown sugar needs to be packed before you add the white sugar.  This will help keep your layers looking nicer.

Layer each jar with the following ingredients.  Finish off with the nuts making sure the jar is completely packed so the layers will not move and mix together. If you do not have a 1/8 cup measuring cup, it is equivalent to 2 tablespoons.

3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup vanilla chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Seal each jar tightly and decorate in whatever style you wish.  Complete package by adding the recipe for baking the brownies:

1 quart jar Sand Art Brownies

3 eggs, beaten
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into well-greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Cool and cut.
 
I loved these and I hope the people I gave them to enjoyed them as well.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love the Christmas Adam story, and these gifts are wonderful. A gift from the kitchen is truly one from the heart!

    ReplyDelete