Tuesday, January 11, 2011

French Toast Casserole

When I first found this recipe, I thought, "I have to try this!" If you like french toast, you're sure to like this. The only problem I have with this dish is that it isn't a quick dish.  All in all, it takes about  an hour and a half to prepare and bake and then it really needs to cool for a little bit.  When you bake something for 45 minutes at 350, it isn't safe to eat it right when it comes out.  There really isn't much else to say, but that it serves about four (or less depending on how hungry you are).

French Toast Casserole
5 cups bread cubes
4 eggs
1 ½ cups milk
¼ cup white sugar, divided
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbs. margarine, softened
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly butter an 8x8 inch baking pan. Line the bottom of dish with bread cubes. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread. Dot with margarine; let stand for 10 minutes. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Bake in preheated oven about 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden.

I served with maple syrup and it was very tasty.  I hope you enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. It is in the oven at my house right now. Sounded like a good snow-day dinner. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete