Sunday, January 9, 2011

Apple-Stuffed Chicken and Green Bean Casserole

Welcome back to The Orange Skillet!! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year! Mine was very excellent! I am very excited to get back to writing for the Orange Skillet.  I have neglected my duties of posting recipes since October, but I'm ready to get 2011 started. 

I found this recipe of apple and cheddar-stuffed chicken breasts online and I was really intrigued by the combination of the apple with the cheddar and chicken.  I used Granny Smith apples and (of course) shredded the cheese fresh. I thought that the apple provided more texture than flavor.  The chicken seemed to be missing a little something.  Crumbles of bacon could have been the missing thing, but bacon can go with everything.

The Green Bean Casserole recipe is the one that I got off the can of French's French Fried Onions. You can also find it on the website.  http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/green-bean-casserole-RE1511.html

Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

½ cup chopped Granny Smith apple
2 Tbs. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 Tbs. Italian-style dried bread crumbs
1 Tbs. butter
¼ cup dry white wine
¼ cup water
1 Tbs. water
1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Combine apple, cheese, and bread crumbs. Set aside. Flatten chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Divide apple mixture between chicken breasts, and roll up each breast. Secure with toothpicks. Melt butter or margarine in a 7 inch skillet over medium heat. Brown stuffed chicken breasts. Add wine and 1/4 cup water. Cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Combine 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch; stir into juices in pan. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour gravy over chicken, and garnish with parsley. Serve.

Stay tuned to the Orange Skillet for more fun recipes.  I have lots of things to share that cooked over the holidays. 

Update: My friend Martha suggested using a cheese with a little more bite such as gorganzola.  I totally agree with her. I love gorganzola (and pretty much any other cheese). 

No comments:

Post a Comment