Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Soup and Salad Night


Fall is my absolute favorite time of year.  I was born in the fall.  Many fun activities happen in the fall.  As a child, one of my favorite fall events was the Fall Festival at my church. There were spook trails, cake walks, a variety of other games and most of all, chicken stew.  It always seemed like chicken stew was the first sign of fall for me.  My parents' Sunday School class still makes that same chicken stew.  It's so good, in fact, that the even sometimes make it for another church to sell at their festival.

I did not make chicken stew tonight, but there is something about the weather that feels just the same.  I had such a craving for potato soup with a white salad.  The potato soup recipe I got online, but the white salad is just what I decided to nickname the salad.



Ham and Potato Soup
3 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
¾ cup diced cooked ham
3 ¼ cups water
2 Tbs. chicken bouillon granules
½ tsp. salt, or to taste
1 tsp. white or black pepper, or to taste
5 Tbs. butter
5 Tbs. all-purpose flour
2 cups milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, (~10 to 15 min). Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

This was the most delicious potato soup.  Next time, I might consider putting a little shredded cheddar on top.  It didn't really need it, though, because there was plenty of flavor.  For me to say that it didn't really need cheese means it was super good. 
 
The salad was simply mixed greens with diced, apples, cucumbers, yellow onion and feta cheese. It was the most simple thing to throw together.  I have to say that Costco has the best deal for mixed greens.  You get about a pound of those leafy greens for only $3.99.  I topped it off with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette from Kraft.  Please try the soup and salad.  I'm sure you will love it!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment