Monday, September 6, 2010

Key West Chicken with Zested Lime Rice

While searching for more fun and exciting dishes, I came across this recipe for Key West Chicken.  I thought this marinated chicken recipe sounded inspiring for my next meal.  If you've ever been to Key West, you know that the food is amazing, the views are beautiful.  The best part is the breeze and the smell and the feeling you have when you step into the clearest water.  The water at the beach on Key West is clearer and more beautiful than on any other shore.  This recipe was the same for me...it inspired me to make an entire meal full of flavor. My thoughts then turned to side dishes.  I felt that rice would be a great side dish, but rice alone would seem just a little to plain for this dish.  I zested a lime and used that to give it just the right flavor for this meal. 

Key West Chicken
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. chopped garlic
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

In a shallow container, blend soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice, and garlic. Place chicken breast halves into the mixture, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Discard marinade, and grill chicken 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear.

I marinated my chicken for about 6 hours.  I think marinating the chicken overnight would have been even better. I used a George Foreman grill, because I do not own an outdoor grill. I felt like a dash of salt and pepper would have helped as well.
 
Zested Lime Rice
2 Tbs. butter
1 cup white rice
zest of 1/2 lime
2 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
 
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Melt the butter and add the rice and toast slightly (1-2 minutes).  While the rice is toasting, add the lime zest and some of the juice of the lime.  Then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Cover the skillet with a tight-fitting lid and reduce heat to low.  Let simmer for 15 minutes and then remove from heat and let stand for at least 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  This is an original recipe so I hope you like it.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment