Sunday, October 3, 2010

New Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes

If you have been reading along, you probably have been expecting a new recipe for the Parmesan Crusted Chicken. I have revamped the recipe and this was much better than the previous one.  I feel like it can be improved even more, but I'll go ahead and let you know how I made this and maybe someone else can help with the next step. 

The garlic mashed potatoes were #2 in a series of "how do I use up all these red potatoes that I got at Costco?"  I bought a 10lb bag of potatoes at Costco because it was much cheaper than getting a small amount at the grocery store.  I have at least one more recipe that I'll probably use this week that will also use the red potatoes.  Last night was actually the first time I've ever made mashed potatoes from scratch.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 - 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
salt and pepper
Caesar dressing
1 - 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 385 degrees F. In a skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.  Salt and pepper chicken breasts.  When oil smokes, place chicken in the pan.  Cook chicken on both sides (6 minutes each side).  Place cooked chicken breasts in a casserole dish.  Brush chicken breasts with Caesar dressing.  Top chicken with a mixture of Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.  Bake in oven approx. 15 minutes.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
2 lbs. unpeeled red potatoes, quartered

1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup Romano cheese, grated
2 Tbs. chopped garlic
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15-20 minutes; drain. Stir in butter, cheese, garlic, salt and oregano. Mash with a potato masher or with an electric mixer.

I loved both of these dishes.  I will definitely be making both of them again.  I may modify the chicken each time I make it, trying to perfect the recipe, but I will post as I do so.  If you decide to give these a try, please leave a comment on the post.  I must say that it is difficult to post when most of the time no one says anything.  It would be a much appreciated source of encouragement. Thanks and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum.

    The chicken sounds great. I'll have to give this one a try... and let you know if any modifications show up along the way. There are always modifications... that's just part of the fun of cooking!

    But... BUT... "Last night was actually the first time I've ever made mashed potatoes from scratch."

    WHAT?!

    I'm just going to go with the assumption that you hate mashed potatoes all together and just simply prefer them baked, roasted, fried, au gratin, or otherwise... because I can't begin to fathom that you've gone your whole life making mashed potatoes from some nondescript box or bag of sour dough starter feed (because that's all that those "potato flake" things are good for).

    When reading, I thought that something was missing here. There's no cream or milk or chicken stock. Granted, it's made up for with the butter (mmmm butter), but I do think this is the first time I've seen (read) anyone make mashed potatoes without any liquid. I guess the butter serves to make enough liquid to make it work. I suppose it also depends on if you want your taters really thick, which I see yours are, or slightly more loose. I'm an in-the-middle kind of guy... definitely don't like them runny, that's for sure.

    Also... try thyme next time instead of oregano. My two cents. But I've been putting thyme in my taters for about 8 years.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this is actually only the second time I've cooked potatoes in general. Don't be so shocked. I may seem like a culinary genius, but in fact, I started cooking real meals after I bought my house. I would actually say that I made my first casserole last November. There are still so many things I've never made. Most of the recipes that I post on the blog are not my own. Per my rule, I make them as they're written before I make any changes (at least most of the time). In this case, I would have added some cream (or even some potato stock), but They were so creamy and delicious without it. I love the thyme idea, btw.

    ReplyDelete