Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Skillet S'mores

Most everyone I know loves s'mores, but hardly anyone has a campfire going this time of year. Almost no one has a fire in their fireplaces his time of year (at least not in this part of the country).

Have no fear, your oven is near.  I found this delicious recipe online and decided to give it a try for myself.  It didn't turn out perfectly, but I have a few ideas about how it could go better and will definitely try this again. I am posting a few possible ideas about various changes I would make after the recipe. If you want to give it a go before I can try this again, please let me know how it turned out for you.  Either way, it's going to be delicious.

Skillet S’mores 
¾ cup milk chocolate chips
Marshmallows (small ones, or large ones cut in half)
Graham Crackers

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a small cast iron skillet, arrange the chocolate chips in an even layer. Evenly place the marshmallows on top of the chocolate chips.  Completely cover the chips. Bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until the marshmallows are lightly browned, or toasted. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.

Serve with graham crackers for dipping. Be careful, skillet will be very hot.





The biggest problem I had was that the chocolate chips didn't melt into a smooth dip-like substance.  One possible solution would be to put the chocolate in the pan without the marshmallows.  Heat the chocolate on a lower temperature and mix in a little cooking oil or shortening.  After that, I would add the marshmallows and put the oven on broil to toast them.  

This may have worked differently for me because I used stoneware instead of cast iron.  I don't have a 6 inch cast iron skillet, so that wasn't an option for me.  Another problem, I had was that the graham crackers weren't substantial enough to dip up the chocolate without breaking.  This could be partially due to the first problem, but I can't be certain.  I just used a fork to spread the chocolate and marshmallow on the crackers.  It still tasted and smelled terrific.

Remember to comment and share with friends.  Look for updates and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. I have the ingredients and was going to let Dennis try this. I may just make them the old-fashioned way!

    ReplyDelete