Monday, July 14, 2014

Pizza Casserole

This casserole came to me via Pinterest.  I have found some great recipes on there, but this is an absolute favorite.  I have modified it a bit since I first made it, so here's the best version.  Originally, it had three types of meat in it; pepperoni, sausage and ham.  It was a bit much, so I opted to remove the ham.  

The pasta I use for this is farfalle or bow tie pasta.  It's one of my favorites, but you can certainly choose whichever pasta you like the best.  I believe that different shapes work better depending on the sauces or other ingredients that they're meant to accompany.  

Pizza Casserole
12 – 16 oz. Bow Tie Pasta
1 lb. mild pork sausage
1 med – large onion, chopped
Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tbs. Chopped Garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
45 oz. spaghetti sauce (rough amount)
1 package pepperoni
3-4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Parmesan Cheese


Cook pasta, drain (do not rinse).

Cook onion, red pepper flakes, garlic, and oregano with sausage until no pink remains in sausage, drain.

In a large pot, combine sausage mixture, pasta and spaghetti sauce. Layer this mixture in 13 x 9 dish with mozzarella cheese and freshly shredded Parmesan then top each layer with pepperoni. Two layers is plenty.

Bake at 375º for 20-30 minutes.  Allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.



This is one of my favorites.  It's also great for leftovers. I hope you enjoy!

See a full index of The Orange Skillet Recipes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment