Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Funnel Cakes

Don't want to wait for the fair to come back before you have another funnel cake?  I completely understand. I didn't either, so I decided to make my own.  A few years ago, a friend bought me this kit, but after I used the one packet of mix, I didn't have a way to make any more funnel cakes.  After some research, I have made my own funnel cake mix that is pretty good (if I do say so myself).  

Note: Make sure you save your oil when finished.  You might want it for tomorrow's recipe.

Before you embark on a quest to make your own funnel cakes, you might want to make sure you have a few supplies.

Metal Forming Ring - This metal ring ensures that the batter will stay in the desired shape when you are pouring the batter into the oil.  Otherwise, it will go all over the pan and lose all shape.

Deep Fry Thermometer - This is to ensure that your oil stays at the proper temperature.  If you have a metal candy thermometer that will work, but do not use a glass or plastic thermometer.  It needs to be especially made for high temperatures.

Dispensing Container - You can always pour the batter through a funnel (which is the reason they're called funnel cakes in the first place).  Another idea that I've seen online is to wash out an old ketchup bottle and fill it with your batter. The kit I received came with a pitcher that is specially made to pour the batter.

Large Skillet that is Deep - You will want to have a deep enough skillet so that you can have a small level of oil with room to spare.

Sifter or Small Strainer - This is to sprinkle the powdered sugar onto the funnel cakes after the come out of the pan.

Long Metal Tongs - This will make it easier to remove the ring and funnel cakes from the oil.

Once you have all these items, you are ready to make funnel cakes. Make this with caution and keep track of the temperature on the oil.  After you make a few, it will cool down a little, so you may have to let it warm back up in between.

Funnel Cakes
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 eggs
¼ cup white sugar
2 cups milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Vegetable oil (for frying)
Powdered Sugar (as needed for topping)

Mix salt, baking powder and half the flour in a bowl (set aside). Cream eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk in large bowl. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Continue to add remaining flour, but only use enough to achieve desired consistency. Batter will need to be thin enough to run through a funnel.

In large skillet, place metal forming ring and add oil (halfway up ring). Heat the oil to 350º.

Add batter to hot oil. Outline the ring and then fill in center. Remove ring once shape is set. Using metal tongs, flip funnel cake and cook until golden. Remove from oil and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.




A few months after I made these, I found the funnel cake mix in the grocery store.  I decided to include a photo of that so you would know what to look for.  It isn't expensive (only $2.50 at Walmart).  It can be found near the pancake batters.


I hope you feel like giving this a shot.  It's really fun and very delicious.  Make sure you have friends ready to help you eat them, because you can't eat a half dozen funnel cakes. Remember to comment and share!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment