Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Salisbury Steak

When I was growing up, my mom would occasionally by the frozen Salisbury Steaks.  I absolutely loved them. I've gotten the frozen thing a few times since I've moved into my house, but I really wanted to try making it myself.  I have no clue where I got the recipe online, because I've had it for about a month or more.

The first time I made it, I misread the recipe and totally messed things up.  The flavor was fine, but the texture was absolutely awful.  I am very much a texture person and this was unacceptable.  It's finally been long enough that I don't completely remember the first experience, so I decided to make it again. I must say, this time was SOOO much better (and that is no hyperbole). The texture was much better and even the flavor was great. 

Salisbury Steak with Gravy
1 (10.5 oz) can French onion soup
1 ½ pounds ground beef
½ cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup water
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. mustard powder

In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper. Shape into 6 oval patties. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties. Pour off excess fat. In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth. Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder. Pour over meat in skillet. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.



My advice to you? Don't over mix the meat and pay close attention between the words can and cup.  They're totally different words (just sayin'). If you like hamburger steak and french onion soup, then you're probably like this recipe.  I actually don't care for french onion soup, but I really liked this. I love using Worcestershire Sauce, though. I think it's a great flavor and I use it in a lot of sauces now.  I doctor up canned spaghetti and hamburger helper dishes (not the stroganoff, though). 

I paired this (as you can probably figure out from the pictures) with Velveeta Shells and Cheese.  Many people turn their nose up at boxed macaroni and cheese, but I haven't really had good experiences making it myself.  Besides, even I can't make everything from scratch all the time. I worked until 6:30 tonight...there was no way that I was going that far.  If you decide to try the Salisbury Steak, keep in mind that when you brown the patties, that's ALL you're doing (browning the outside).  It helps them stay together.  The inside will cook later in the gravy on low with the lid.  Make sure you drain off as much fat as you can after you brown the patties. You don't want the greasy layer on your gravy (I'll do this better next time...I didn't drain it as well as I should have).


No comments:

Post a Comment